Monday, October 15, 2012

Man in the Blue Moon

I was so excited to hear from Tyndale Publishing Company that I had won a prize in their recent contest!! When I received the book in the mail, I was pleased at two things right off the bat. One, the book was a nice thick book…more pages to read ! 377 to be exact! The second was the cover was beautiful which always makes a difference in just the excitement of reading a new book. As I started reading , I was drawn in to the story from the beginning. Michael Morris, the author, is a Southern Book Critics Circle Award finalist and is a true Southern writer. This story kept me tuned in by the many twists and drama happening in this small Southern town. The characters are very believable and you feel a connection with them. I thoroughly enjoyed this read and can’t wait to read more by this author. The book starts off with a woman and her sons, trying to survive since her husband left her due to drugs. She has to decide whether to take what money she has and pay it towards the mortgage, which she is already behind on, or take the money and pay shipping on an item her husband had ordered from the Blue Moon Clock Company before he left them. She decides to take a chance that the item, which she has no idea as to the identity of, will be of sufficient value to sell in her store and make more money to try to pay the mortgage. When the package arrives, she and her boys go to pick up the crate at the railroad station and bring it back to open at their home. What a surprise awaits them when they open the crate! This book also has a great story in the prologue about how the author came up with this idea for a story. There are also questions to be used for discussion in a book club or if you are a homeschooling mom like me…you can assign these to be answered. This is a book that I want to read again. I think it is one of those that you can reread over and over and it will speak to your soul in different ways.

No comments: