Saturday, October 1, 2011

Acorn Hats

Acorn hats...little tiny bumpy brown and gray acorn hats scattered over a layer of moss under a huge oak tree. We pick them up and make a pile of acorn hats... and a pile of acorns for the squirrels. Yellow leaves, red leaves, orange leaves...we kick the leaves into the air and watch them fall with the other leaves falling from the trees. You are wearing your prayer hat I made you in acorn browns. It looks like an acorn hat. You are my little red-headed acorn, running here and there. Smiling, picking up sticks, talking to me.

We sit in the chairs in the backyard and look up at the sky and watch the "big smoke" (clouds) roll by. We hear a bird but we are not scared . You tell me you want to swap chairs with me...so we do. You lean your pudgy little chin on your plump little hand and say, "Mommy, I like talking to you."

You tell me about the red star on the barn, the little tiny flag of the States, the sunshine, the squirrel, and the scarecrow in Grandpa's garden. "I washed that scarecrow with Grandpa's hose!" you laugh!!

We lean our heads back onto the chairs and I hear the peace of a forest. We get up and walk in the moss and the leaves again until it is time to go. Couple of more minutes, you say. So we stay a couple of more minutes, drinking in the beauty and the sounds and the love that God has given us through His creation and each other.

Thank You, God.


"..And on this side of the river and on that was the tree of life, bearing twelve manner of fruits, yielding its fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations."
Revelations 22:33

No comments: